Friday, June 24, 2011

Phase 2 - Maroon Peak

2011 Maroon Bells-099 by rick.blair
This phase of the climb involved relentless scrambling and steep hiking over loose scree while wearing crampons and carrying ice tools due to the conditions.  I even found myself doing some 4th class dry tooling simply because I had the tool in my hand.  After the Bell Cord Couloir I was pretty tired, gaining this summit made me almost want to call it a day.



2011 Maroon Bells-070 by rick.blair
Loose Scree on the west side of the Bell Cord Couloir saddle.

2011 Maroon Bells-069 by rick.blair
We had to traverse this steep snow field from the saddle to start our ascent of Maroon Peak.  The snow was very firm since it is out of the morning sun.

2011 Maroon Bells-068 by rick.blair

The beginning of the ascent involved very loose scree and hard snow.

2011 Maroon Bells-038 by rick.blair
The route up Maroon Peak

2011 Maroon Bells-034 by rick.blair
Me scrambling.

P1010593 by rick.blair
John getting to work, rock scrambling in crampons is a lot of work.

2011 Maroon Bells-039 by rick.blair
Me exhausted, stumbling to the top of Maroon peak. Maroon Ridge and North Maroon Peak, Phase3, sits in the background. I wasn't sure at this point I would have enough energy left over.

2011 Maroon Bells-056 by rick.blair
John on the Maroon Peak summit with Snowmass Mountain 14,092 Ft/4295 Meters in the Background.

2011 Maroon Bells-046 by rick.blair
Looking towards Crested Butte.  Hometown shot for my mom.

2011 Maroon Bells-058 by rick.blair
Mt Crested Butte ski area.

P1010601 by rick.blair
John descending Maroon Peak.

P1010602 by rick.blair
On the way down I knocked this boulder loose. I yelled "rock! rock! rock!", this thing really picked up speed, John tried to jump over it, it skipped off a rock, went airborne and hit him in the knee while he jumped. In hindsight we were a little tired and simply were not taking the rock fall hazard seriously enough. You can bet that changed.

2011 Maroon Bells-145 by rick.blair
It took John a while to recover from the impact, we were not sure at this point whether he would continue but eventually shook it off. It did slow him down and I am sure caused a lot of discomfort.

2011 Maroon Bells-074 by rick.blair
Climbing back to the Bell Cord saddle.

No comments:

Post a Comment